Since its launch in 2008, Spotify has steadily enhanced its digital music platform and matured into a major streaming music service. Now it has broken free of its European roots and made its way to the U.S., can it really compete with the more established services like Pandora, Grooveshark, and others? To find out the answer to this question and more, be sure to read our full review of Spotify which delves into its inner workings.
- Unlimited streaming music.
- Huge library of songs.
- Compatible with iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone, Android, and other mobile platforms.
- Excellent social music networking tools.
- Offline Mode negates the need for an Internet connection.
- Alternative email sign up option (compared to the Facebook one) is not that obvious on Spotify's website.
- Free account is limited: Unlimited streaming only for the first 6 months.
- Can't directly purchase DRM-free songs via the U.S. version of Spotify.
- No radio facility like the European version.
- Broadband connection
- Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Mac OS X 10.4.0 or later (PowerPC G4 or higher (or Intel CPU))
Supported Formats by Spotify Software Client
- MP3, AAC (M4a, MP4, M4r), M4v, Mov, 3g2, 2gp, m4p (DRM protected format -- not directly playable, but track will be available if in Spotify's music database)
Streaming Audio Specifications