Wouldn't it be nice if you could use Amazon Cloud Drive just like an external hard disk? The problem with most online storage services is that you typically have to access each one via your Web browser -- not ideal when you need to upload your music or other types of files in bulk. By following this tutorial, we'll show you how to use the free Gladinet Cloud Desktop software to conveniently use Amazon Cloud Drive just like a physical storage device; this smart software for Windows also supports other cloud storage services such as: Box.net, SkyDrive, Google Docs, and more. To find out how to integrate Amazon Cloud Drive into your desktop, follow these quick and easy steps.
1. Installing Gladinet Free Starter Edition
If you haven't got Gladinet Cloud Desktop already installed, then you can download the free Starter Edition from the Gladinet website. It's compatible with the following versions of Windows:
- 7 / Vista / XP / Server 2008 and 2003
2. Adding Amazon Cloud Drive
- a) When you run Gladinet for the first time after installation, choose the Free Starter Edition and click Next > Next.
- b) To begin adding cloud storage services to Gladinet, click the Add My Cloud Storage Account option.
- c) Click the drop-down menu arrow next to Storage Service and choose Amazon Cloud Drive. Click Next.
- d) In the Username and Password fields, type in your Amazon security credentials -- this will normally be the email address and password you used when signing up for an Amazon online account. Click Next to continue.
- e) Unless you are going to upgrade to the paid-for Gladinet Pro version, uncheck the Enable Cloud Sync Folder for the Virtual Directory option. Click Finish > Finish.
3. Using Amazon Cloud Drive Like a Hard Disk
- a) After completing the steps in section 2 above, you should now see a Window displayed on your desktop called, My Gladinet Drive. In this window will be an icon to directly access your Amazon Cloud Drive space. If you want to add more online storage services supported by Gladinet (e.g. Box.net, SkyDrive, Google Docs, etc.), simply double-click on the Click to Mount [cloud storage] link.
- b) To start using your Amazon Cloud Drive storage, double-click its icon just like you would for any other folder in Windows.
- c) You'll find that transferring files to your online storage space using Gladinet is virtually the same as dragging and dropping in Windows. The only difference you'll see is a progress window that appears when uploading folders and files. To view more information when it appears, click the Show Details option. If you need to interrupt an upload session, simply click the Cancel button to stop.
- d) To access Gladinet's main menu screen, right-click the Gladinet icon in the Windows system tray and choose Management Console. On this screen, you'll see the virtual directories that have been setup so far. Click the double-arrow to the far right of Amazon Cloud Drive to open up its configuration options.
Congratulations, you have now integrated Amazon Cloud Drive into your Windows desktop!