Digital music gift cards are the perfect solution if you want to give music as a gift while keeping to a budget. The recipient has the flexibility to choose exactly what they want. Depending on the type of service, they can download or stream songs of their choosing by redeeming a prepaid card or gift certificate.
When you buy digital music in this way you are always in control of how much you spend. This is especially useful as a gift for children too who won't be able to go over the limit you've set. In addition, digital music gift cards also make great last minute gifts if you're really stuck for something to buy -- some can even be instantly delivered via email.
If you're buying credit for someone who is new to the world of digital music, then you might also want to consider purchasing a portable device such as an MP3 player or PMP so they can enjoy their music downloads or streams on the move.
Here is a list of sources (in no particular order) that offer gift cards / certificates that can be purchased to redeem for digital music.
Amazon has made it easy to give digital music as a gift using their website. You can use:
- Amazon MP3 Gift Cards: (Purchase/Download) If you want to give someone a set amount of credit for the Amazon MP3 store, then this method is a good choice. You can send the gift via email, Facebook (wall post), or print it out using your printer.
- Amazon's 'Give as a Gift' Button: Using the 'Give as a Gift' button on Amazon MP3 makes it very simple to give a song or complete album as a gift. If you know exactly what a friend or family member likes, then this is a good option for a one-off purchase -- you can personalize your gift too. For more information, use Amazon's MP3 gift guide to (Purchase/Download) single songs or whole albums as a gift.
Even though the standard Amazon gift card is typically used for physical products, you can also use it to instantly purchase and download songs from Amazon MP3. This type of card is available from many different stores and can also be purchased online. The amount of prepaid credit ranges from $10 - $200.
An excellent gift for someone who has an iPod, or who will be getting a portable player. The recipient of an iTunes gift card can download music, audiobooks, movies, TV shows and more from the iTunes Store. iTunes Gift Cards are available from the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Store, or one of the many participating retailers. There are 4 levels of prepaid card which are:
If you need to instantly buy someone a last minute gift that they can use on the iTunes Store, then an iTunes Gift Certificate is a good option. iTunes gift certificates are similar to iTunes Gift Cards in that you can choose a credit amount of between $10 - $50 which can be redeemed for songs, albums, apps, audiobooks, etc. Once you have created your gift certificate, it can be instantly sent via email, or printed out so you can present it in person if you prefer.
If you're unfamiliar on creating gift certificates via the iTunes software and think this is the best option for you, follow our quick and easy tutorial on how to buy an iTunes gift certificate.
If you know someone who loves discovering new music by listening to Internet radio, then Pandora's gift card could be the one for them! The Pandora One gift card currently costs $30 for six months and gives the recipient the following main benefits:
- Unlimited streaming.
- Customizable radio stations that are free from advertisements.
- High quality streaming audio at 192 Kbps.
- Pandora desktop application.
6. Sony Music Unlimited Gift Cards (Physical and Online)
Buying a Music Unlimited gift card for someone enables them to stream over 25 million songs from Sony's large music library. If the person you're gifting is already in Sony's ecosystem then they'll be able to use compatible devices such as the PlayStation, Xperia smartphones, Bravia TVs, etc.).
However, Music Unlimited isn't exclusive to Sony products. You can also use non-Sony devices like a computer and popular mobile devices that run operating systems such as iOS (iPhone an iPod Touch) and Android.
A range of Music Unlimited gift cards are currently available from GameStop in the following denominations:
- $29.97 (3 months premium access)
- $54.99 (9% discount) (6 months premium access)
- $99.90 (20% discount) (12 months premium access)
Wal-Mart offer a range of different types of gift card to suit any occasion. The online gift card option is particularly useful for immediate delivery via email. Once received, the recipient can immediately start shopping for music (or anything else for that matter) online.
The gift card solutions that Wal-Mart offer are:
- Gift cards
- Specialty cards (including iTunes gift cards)
- e-gift cards
Wal-Mart gift cards can be purchased from $10-1000.