If you're just getting into the world of digital music and want to start purchasing a range of other digital products too like audiobooks, movies and apps, then the iTunes Store is a great resource. Having an iTunes account is also essential if you want to use iTunes Gift Cards (buy or redeem) or access the free downloads and services (iTunes U, etc.) that you'll find on the iTunes Store.
You don't need an iPod, iPhone, or iPad either to use Apple's online store -- although owning one makes it a more seamless affair. Create your free iTunes account now by following this tutorial.
Launch the iTunes software. If you haven't got this installed on your computer, then you can download the latest version from the iTunes website.
In the left pane of iTunes, click the iTunes Store menu option (underneath STORE section).
- Click Sign In near the top right-hand side of the iTunes main window.
- Click the Create New Account button on the dialog screen that appears.
- On the welcome screen that appears, click Continue.
- Next, read Apple's terms and conditions. If you agree with them and want to create an account, click the check box next to I have read and agree to these terms and conditions. Click Continue to proceed.
On the Provide Apple ID Details screen, enter all the information that is required to set up an iTunes account -- this includes your email address, password, birthday, and a secret question (and answer) just in case you forget your security credentials. If you don't want to receive communications from Apple via email, then clear one or both check boxes depending on your requirements. Click Continue.
- If you're going to pay by credit card, then choose your credit card type by clicking one of the radio buttons and entering your card's details in the relevant fields.
- Next enter you billing address details that are registered to your credit card, followed by the Continue button
- If you choose PayPal instead of a credit card, then you'll be asked to click Continue to verify your PayPal details. This will take you to another screen (via your Internet browser) where you can sign into your PayPal account and then click the displayed Agree and Continue button.
Your account should now be created. If successful, a congratulations screen will be displayed to verify that you now have an iTunes account. Click the Done button to finish.