Pandora Radio Review: An Intelligent Streaming Music Service With Radio Stations
By Mark Harris
1 of 5
An Introduction to Pandora Radio
New Pandora Radio
Image © Mark Harris - Licensed to About.com, Inc.
Pandora Radio which was first realized as the Music Genome Project in 1999, is a unique digital music service that recommends content based on your likes and dislikes. Using complex algorithms for profiling the character of audio tracks, Pandora Radio intelligently suggests new music using your feedback history (thumbs up/down system).
Pandora Radio has now had an 'HTML 5' face-lift that promises a faster and richer user-experience, but can it deliver? And more importantly, can Pandora build on its success against stiff competition from other streaming music services like Spotify, Grooveshark, and others?
To get the lowdown, be sure to read this full Pandora Radio review that separates the wheat from the chaff.
- New sleeker-looking HTML 5 interface offers better and faster user-experience
- Smart algorithms help you to quickly build customized radio stations
- Excellent service for music discovery
- Pandora One yearly subscription cost is good value for money
- Good social networking facilities
- Pandora only available in the U.S.
- Skip limits (Pandora One subscribers: 6 song skips per hour (per station) / Free accounts: 12 skips per day)
- Broadband connection
- Internet Browser (Windows: Internet Explorer / Firefox / Chrome) ¦ (MAC OS X: Safari / Firefox / Chrome)
- Windows Minimum Hardware Specs: Desktop (CPU: 2 Ghz+ / RAM: 1 GB+) ¦ Laptop (CPU:1.6 Ghz+ / RAM: 1 GB+)
- Mac Minimum Hardware Specs: Desktop (CPU: PowerPC G5 1.8 Ghz+ / RAM: 1 GB+) ¦ Laptop (CPU: 1.5 Ghz+ / RAM: 1 GB+)
Streaming Audio Specifications
- Compression format: AACplus
- Bitrate: Normal Quality: 128 Kbps / High Quality: 192 Kbps (Pandora One only)